View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Willybluedog

I don't know, I had always been a "fixer" the Lucy Van Pelt, Doctor is in pop psychologist in high school and college, I just switched my fixing from those who should be able to take care of themselves to those who could not.

I volunteered at a really bad inner city school, mainly children of drug addicted and gang involved, I loved those kids so much, I gave them a very different perspective.

I was sitting with a boy one day who was 6 years old, we were coloring picture and he asked me if I had ever been in jail, I replied that no I had not, he did not believe me, every man he knew had bee in county jail or prison, he was shocked that most men did not go to jail.

You know what these kids wanted most, they wanted my attention, they wanted me to listen to what they were doing in school, they wanted to do things with someone who was sober, and they were fierce huggers, I would pick three or four up at a time and hug them like a giant.

I know I made a difference in the three years I worked with them, it broke my heart when work took me away from them, but I learned I could help "fix" without becoming codependent.

If you feel the need to fix folks, try volunteering instead of dating fixer-uppers.