Old 10-05-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
freethinking
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by kanamit View Post
Thanks for the reply, very useful.

Funnily enough, I find it easier when around others drinking as the language they use to justify it and the things they do once drinking remind me of the reason I quit. Beast activity is biggest when I'm on my own.

I'm interested in AVRT users who have read the Allen Carr book. How do you use them together? I like the feel good factor of Carr but it's not watertight like AVRT.
Well I use AVRT in the sense that I identify The Beast and Addictive Voice activity. I read Carr's book about 1 year ago and it kept me thinking logically about alcohol for about 4 months. However, for me, the reframing of how I thought about alcohol wasn't probably enough of a tool to help me when I was overcome by really strong thoughts to drink. So, let's just say that Carr's book got me started on the path that for me, what was needed was a change in thinking when it came to alcohol (literally). I saw booze in a whole new light. But recognizing an actual Addictive Voice that I can separate as not being the real me has been what I believe really keeps me in control and ahead of this thing. Every bit helps.