Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by MickeyAnMeisce View Post
I could speculate all day about how I seem to you or how you seem to me, but that doesn't strike me as conducive to civil conversation. This a long thread and people are prone to not remembering the answer to every post in the thread. I therefore asked again to refresh others' memory. I have no ulterior motive.
You do seem to have a fascination with the disease concept of addiction, though. You have brought it up on multiple threads now.

If the disease concept is irrelevant to AVRT, why does Rational Recovery devote any time to criticizing it?
Because it is crippling for many people, and until they discard it, they won't be able to move on. Most people who end up with RR have already tried other recovery methods that make use of the disease model, unsuccessfully.

BTW, "disease" has different meanings in recovery circles. Is it biological disease? Psychological disease? Spiritual disease? Sin disease? Which permutation are you referring to?

Again, that is an interpretation of the disease model and not the disease model itself; Rational Recovery appears to deliberately conflate the two in order to criticize 12-step programs as mindlessly ideological "recoveryism".
Recoveryism is the state of unresolved addiction, when the problem drinking/using has been identified by the addicted person, and that person fails to take decisive action to end it (ie, quit forever). This phenomenon, of knowing you have to quit, but not quite getting around to it, while very common, is not limited to any particular program. In fact, since almost everyone goes through it before they finally quit, you might reasonably consider it a stage of addiction.

Except that cognitive-behavioral therapies do not completely deny that etiology is important or useful. You can treat the symptoms but that doesn't cure the underlying disease.
If you are addicted to a substance, forsaking its use forever will usually take care of the problem quite well.

However, the addiction is very often problematic before the "addicted person" is aware it is.
AVRT is a model of self-recovery, and cannot be "done to" someone else. If someone does not want to end their addiction, then that is that. If the time comes when they do actually want to end their addiction, then the may use AVRT to do so, but not before.