Old 10-02-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by AprilMay1895
So question, have you who followed AVRT ever applied imagery to your beast?
Like some of the others, I did not formally following AVRT to quit. but when I read about it about a year after I had quit, I recognized it as very similar to what I had done. Actually what I had done on my own, but while in treatment, and that was to simply say "I'm never drinking again". I meant it and even though I got out and did a specified number of group meetings in a specified number of days, I told them all I was never drinking again. LOL that went over like a lead balloon, but no matter because I knew it inside and I just went with that. but I digress... yes, the imagery...

I use imagery for the beast. I can "see" her. She is a pathetic mess...mascara down her face. She is either angry or sobbing. She cannot make a decision, cannot form relationships, she's weak, she's promiscuous, she's manipulative, she lies, she's toxic. She cares for no one...even though she says she does. She thinks she has others fooled, but they only pity her.
She is everything I will never be.

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique
Moral of the story: there is not a psychiatric medication on Earth that will "work" if you don't quit drinking and ingesting concentrated amounts of high-proof central nervous system depressants.
so true TU. I cannot believe how many meds I was on while drinking. They just kept giving me more and different ones because "nothing was working". I also used benzos while drinking, which eventually led literally to the end. While in treatment, I used every PRN benzo they allotted me in addition to the scheduled ones.. Telling them I was "anxious", "struggling"...I wasn't at all I just wanted a little buzz. I recognized my AV then, and I decided I would not take those pills anymore.

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique
I have always suspected that many "old-timers" use a form of AVRT, without naming it as such or ever telling the newcomers about it.
I absolutely agree. I have heard too many of them speak and I hear it.

Originally Posted by AprilMay1895
And as far as quitting drinking goes, that happened after Friday night, like I said it would.
YAY on you!!