Old 10-02-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Even though I didn't use AVRT to quit drinking, it strikes me how incredibly logical the process really is. It also strikes me that I did use the essential theory of AVRT, which is that the "alcoholic" in me, wasn't me.
You have to remember that Trimpey did not just pull AVRT out of a hat. He was a social worker for decades, who was not only addicted to alcohol himself, but also spent thousands of clinical contact hours interviewing seriously addicted people to ascertain how people naturally recover. He has often referred to AVRT as a phenomenological method, since it simply mirrors reality.

I have always suspected that many "old-timers" use a form of AVRT, without naming it as such or ever telling the newcomers about it. One member here on SR frequently mentions detachment when speaking of his own spiritual awakening, which is essentially what happens with AVRT. You detach from addictive desire (the Beast), so that eventually, you can honestly say that you don't have a desire to drink/use, only it does.