Old 10-02-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
You guys can totally get irritated with me if this was already discussed on this thread and I haven't gotten to the last 2 parts of the book yet either, so I'm gonna be lazy and just ask. lol
April, the standard approach of waiting for something to be done for you is not going to work. AVRT is self-recovery, and while I am glad to discuss it in order to help others with the nuances, you must remember that you are ultimately on your own. The battle will be waged in your own mind, not anyone else's mind, so to stay on track, it helps to imagine that you are the first person in the history of mankind to ever quit a substance addiction, without any available support.

Originally Posted by AprilMay1895 View Post
But is the RR concept along the lines of the Freudian Id, Ego and Super-ego concept? And addiction is a sort of imbalance of the Id and the Super-Ego? Kinda seems like our Id's overthrew our Super-Ego's? Once we go back and separate the two again and tell which one should be the dominant, there is no longer a problem.
My initial reaction is to say no, since AVRT is not based on any existing psychological theory, but rather on the reality of independent recovery. Although he is undoubtedly familiar with existing psychological theories, since he is a trained and licensed clinical social worker, Trimpey did not learn AVRT from a book, but rather from observing how people naturally recover on their own.

However, I can see how you might see some parallels, in that the Id, like your Beast, is driven by pleasure, and wants whatever feels good at the time, with no consideration for the reality of the situation. Like the Ego, your Addictive Voice serves the purpose of interpreting reality in order to satisfy the Id. The Super-ego is your moral conscience, and in as far as your moral conscience can crush the Id, this would be correlate with AVRT-based recovery.

That said, while I myself also indulge in this sort of thing, AVRT is powerfully simple, and trying to unravel the mystery of how it works before you quit will play right into your AV, which will throw everything but the kitchen sink at you in order to avoid the bullet of abstinence.