View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
KittyCopes

I totally understand what you're saying; I worry a little about this myself. My husband is in rehab now. Our social group doesn't revolve around keg parties and drinking games, but it does tend toward dinners out and fancy cocktails when everyone can get a sitter. I think it is going to take some time to adjust to my husband NOT drinking at those events.

I'm not a huge drinker, but I enjoy a cocktail or two. I'm going to need to think about whether I will drink or not -- in some ways, I understand that my having a drink or not shouldn't be the linchpin or his sobriety, but if I were on a strict diet, I might not appreciate it if he ordered a scrumptious dessert and ate it in front of me.

I expect our friends to be understanding -- and they have been, so far. But i also expect a little awkwardness as they navigate how they feel drinking around him or opting not to drink.

I like the ideas here. We've always enjoyed movies, and game nights make everyone groan and then up being really fun.

On another note, I question whether i will serve alcohol if I entertain at our house. I enjoy cooking and entertaining -- and our friends enjoy a couple of glasses of wine (as do I). We have not kept alcohol in the house in recent months, and I certainly don't plan to keep it around as a matter of course when my AH is home. But I don't like the idea of having a dinner party and not offering wine. I'm thinking I'll just go with a BYOB an encourage people to take it when they leave, or dump out whatever is left.

Thanks for raising this topic.

Kitty