View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 02:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Mightyqueen801

Originally Posted by byrank View Post
My wife is fresh out of inpatient rehab. For the past 20 years EVERYTHING we did was alcohol related, centered, and driven. I just thought that was the way it was with everyone. Everyone I know it is. We are successful, mid 30's. What do non drinkers do for fun? Dinner and a movie? That gets old...Have a sitter for tomorrow night. We do live in a metropolitan area. Any suggestions welcome.
You've been given a number of good suggestions on here, but I think you already know that it's going to take a while to figure out how to have fun without alcohol.

I know exactly what you mean. Even though my ex was the alcoholic, I drank, too, and our social lives centered around his friend's bar and the people who went there. I had no idea everyone else my age at that time (20's and 30's) didn't close the bars on Friday night. One day a coworker mentioned that she went shopping when the mall opened on Saturday morning. I was like, "HUH????" Who is up that early on Saturday morning???"

Anyway, when you are used to centering your social life around alcohol, it takes a while to find things to do and enjoy life in other ways, but it can be done and life is so much better. I am alone now, and sometimes I think--no, I know--that I could easily make friends if I just go to the nearest bar and start hanging out...and I will end up with another alcoholic on my hands. So I go to the library, I hike, I do photography, I write...

Hey, photography is a good idea. Get a camera if you don't have one, and go look for good spots to take pics. That's something you can do together.

Try different things, but keep trying. Good luck.