Old 09-30-2011, 10:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dbh

Hope everyone can stand another post from me today. I'm having a reflective day.

Below is a favorite reading of mine that has to do with control. I remembered reading it years ago and was able to find it with some Internet searching.

It's from Days of Healing, Days of Joy: Daily Meditations for Adult Children by Earnie Larsen, Carol L. Hegarty

God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
-Reinhold Niebuhr
Some things I cannot change: my age, who my relatives are, my eye color, my height, my childhood experiences, my inborn talents, my nature, someone else’s abuse of alcohol or other drugs, whether the sun will shine, my job history, what I will inherit, how my parents feel, yesterday’s lost opportunities, how long I will live, who forgives me, how my parents treated me, how much I am loved, the past.

Some things I can change: the youthfulness of my spirit, who my friends are, my hair color, my weight, my adult experiences, my achievements, my character, my reaction to someone else’s use of alcohol or other drug, whether my eyes will shine, my job possibilities, what I will bequeath, how I feel, my ability to act on today’s opportunities, how well I will live, whom I forgive, how I treat my own children, how much I love, the future.

I thank God for my growing ability to choose.