Old 09-30-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
I'll be honest, I haven't made any big plan (I use a combo of AVRT from RR along with the ABC stuff from SMART, mainly - but do not wholly follow either SMART or RR).
That's your choice, but know that AVRT is based entirely upon a Big Plan; no big plan, no AVRT. You simply won't be able to recognize your Addictive Voice without one.

Regarding the "ABC stuff," that can actually feed into the AV if you are not careful, but I don't want to derail this thread, so PM me if interested in details. Essentially, though, ask yourself who is doing the ABC's (you or your Beast).

I don't know that I feel it is necessary and I guess the way that I think, I am not sure that my mind buys really adamant "never again" statements when it comes to something I have done repeatedly for over 20 years.
↑ This passage above is your AV.

This is the first time in my life, however, where I feel I have even had any desire to wrap my mind around permanent sobriety where it not only feels desirable, but attainable. I can honestly say that has never been the case before.
↑ This is you.

On the flipside of your point above though, I wonder what the purpose of the aversion techniques are if one, in fact, has a Big Plan to never drink again. It seems to contradictory. Wouldn't that be like me buying sunblock for a vacation to Hawaii that I have confirmed I am not ever going to go on?
It is not an aversion technique, but you do need to be able to recognize your AV. That won't happen if you let your Beast hide from you. Although you are correct about what the point would be if you won't drink again, recall what you wrote:

Originally Posted by freethinking
Whenever I have quit drinking in the past, I have had no urges whatsoever for several months and then it seems like BAM, I am at the liquor store and drunk out of nowhere. When I look back, it's hard to see how it happened...
What happened is that you didn't recognize your AV; your Beast took control of the pronoun "I" and off on autopilot you went. You need to learn to recognize your AV, when you are prepared, so that you are not broadsided later. You can certainly practice in a "safe" setting until you get the hang of it, though.

I've think I may try the bottle of vodka idea though with my husband and see how that goes.
That would work for now if you are afraid, or you could fill a vodka bottle with water. It looks almost identical to the real thing, so it should be enough to get your Beast stirring.