View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hopeworks

Statistically the vast majority of those who achieve sobriety do relapse (why many parrot that "relapse is part of recovery") and in my opinion it usually can be attributed to a combination of reasons ... as we all know on this site alcoholism and addiction is a very complicated knot of issues and triggers.

Our behaviors and habits become deeply ingrained and the desire and compulsion to drink is the core of the battle for the alcoholic and I never understood anyone trying to defend or logic drinking a product that not only mimics the real product but actually does contain a small amount of alcohol!

My XAH insisted that it was perfectly cool to drink nonalcoholic beer and it was a factor in his eventual slide down the slippery slope to relapse.

Why are loved ones willing to take the risk knowing the anxiety it causes us as well as the very real possibility it might set them up to fail and collapse and destroy everything they have achieved in their recovery?

The answer is because the alcoholic and addicts brain does not function normally in reasoning out the dangers and risks associated with certain decisions and behaviors ... this is why many alcoholics and addicts require consistent reminders of these truths in an active program of recovery such as AA.

It is an individual decision but to me ... having been there ... it is like playing Russian Roulette and the ones who suffer most are us codies who have to actively work at not stressing over really stupid decision making by the ones we love!