View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 01:33 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

I'm sorry you are hurting. It's hard for us, after we screw up enough courage and determination to go to a recovery meeting, to be "welcomed" with less than open arms.

Sometimes I am secretly searching for reasons to stay away, and even searching for reasons to use. I tell myself that things have to be this way...or I am staying home next time. Or that I can handle situations A,B, C & D, but if E or F happen, I'm going to HAVE to use.

This is why I now have a program, to learn to get honest, live honest, and take responsibility for my own life and choices. I like to blame everyone else for my behavior.

Here is something to think about, someone screws up the courage to go to a meeting, they just had the worst day in sobriety they've ever had, they wanted to use, they wanted to scream, cry, rant at their boss, dog, girlfriend, guy in the car next to them, it feels like their world is falling apart, their sobriety is at stake. They want to go home and isolate, but they know their best bet is to get to a meeting. They make the effort to get there, and find a seat. It's all they can do to stay sitting there, and not leave and head to the convenience store for a 12 pack. Someone walk in late...and all they can think of is how much effort it took them to get there ON TIME, and stay there, in spite of everything. They snap, say something rude, they aren't even paying attention to who it is, they have no clue why that person is late, and they don't care because they are caught up in their own issues.

One of the first things I learned in recovery was the danger of resentments. I am trying to put down the ones I've been lugging around and trying hard not to pick up any more. Any resentment, even a "justified" one is burdensome. Is it purposeful to nurse this one? To get others to pick up this resentment with you? To approach this recovering addict and take his inventory for him?

I am not justifying his behavior. But I suggest that it truly had nothing to do with you, it was about him. And your response to his behavior, as his response to yours, may well have more to do with you than him.

When I get my knickers in a twist about something, and get a instantaneous powerful reaction, there is usually something very pertinent there for me to look at in myself.

I used to be "why is that person attacking me?" and I am learning to be "why am I letting this get to me?" I can't read the other person's mind or heart, but I have a chance of looking at my own and learning something useful.

Feelings are good, they inform us of our relationship with reality. It is fine to feel them. Sometimes it is not wise to act on a feeling. Sometimes it's better to just ride them out, and move onto the next one.

Somedays I walk into a meeting and I am like that guy. Somedays I walk in and I am more like you. Some days I am golden and nothing can bring me down.

Consider cutting yourself some slack, letting go of this resentment and get on with your recovery.