Old 09-29-2011, 08:11 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  
freethinking
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
This is the problem with the passive approach that many people take, whereby they literally hide from "slippery places" where alcohol is available. In doing this, though, they don't build up the skill of knowing how to react when an urge does come. AVRT takes a different approach; although it would be a good idea to get rid of the supply while you read the material on AVRT, and possibly for a few weeks, you don't hide from slippery places after that.
Well, in my case I am not hiding. I don't say that defensively either but it is just reality. I drank in my home, alone. I went out to the liquor store each morning, and by night had usually polished everything off. Rinse and repeat the next day. My husband doesn't drink, so unless I am drinking, there is none in the house. I've just lead my life as I normally would since quitting...gone to some social events, gone to dinner, etc - I am sure alcohol was there but I don't remember it effecting me. Next weekend we are having people over and I'm sure we'll serve alcohol here. But like I said, no urges yet. Maybe I will try the bottle of vodka idea, but I am not sold on it right now. I am not sure if I am convinced of that approach or if I feel it is a bad idea....food for thought though, thanks.