Old 09-29-2011, 05:04 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  
freethinking
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

I have a question: how do you stay interested in this stuff after several years?

For me, whenever I have quit drinking in the past, I have had no urges whatsoever for several months and then it seems like BAM, I am at the liquor store and drunk out of nowhere. When I look back, it's hard to see how it happened....however in looking deeper and listening to another guy a few weeks back at a SMART meeting, I saw myself in him and realized I get to that state where I can say "f*ck it" after a month or so of feeling really angry and negative. So I have to really watch my thoughts when they start ruminating over things that are irrelevant and upsetting.

But my point/question is....I have yet to flat out have an urge to drink in 5 months. Instead, I have seen my AV when I start getting angry at people and my surroundings. However, I'd imagine in several years, I might not even think about the AV....I'm not sure. My schema on drinking has changed, and I guess I am surprised you (TU) are still so interested in AVRT since I think you have a few years behind you now. What motivates you? Because I can't really envision me being interested in this stuff too much as the years pass. In fact, it's hard now to stay interested in some ways.

**I should add I was a morning, noon and night drinker, but about every 6 weeks or so I would stop from anywhere to a week to 4 months. During the 3-4 month periods, the urge seemed to overtake me instantly and come out of nowhere after months of being dormant. No inner-debate whatsoever.