Old 09-28-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 349 (permalink)  
ElvisInASkirt

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Someone who owns a copy of the "RR: TNC" book, but who has not read past the first chapter sent me the following question:

Simplicity is probably the main "flaw" in AVRT, since people may think "it can't be this simple."

This, of course, is pure Addictive Voice. It is your warden (the Beast) speaking, who does not want you to escape from the prison of addiction. It senses that AVRT is a threat to its survival, and it doesn't want you to investigate further. You can listen to your AV and not read the rest of the book, or you can do the smart thing and read all of it. The choice is yours.

As for relapses, there are no relapses in AVRT, only reversals of intent. Drinking/using is not something that inexplicably "just happens" to you, it is something you allow. If you have truly made a Big Plan, though, you have removed the option to ever drink, or to ever change your mind.
I'd definitely agree with the no relapses/only reversal of intent bit. I've been observing Frank and he keeps hinting at the romance of drinking on holiday non-stop. I read a line about a hotel having a liquor store and FRANK SURGED! I could feel shockwaves of animal impulse trying to inundate myself and be born of words and plans.

I just felt the power of it and let it be and it disappeared.

There will never be drinking on holiday.

Frank is saying that I've pussied out by booking a quiet resort and that I should book Las Vegas for a 'real test'. My answer was thus 'Even if I do go to Vegas I will never drink, in fact if that ever happens it will be a day of great sober joy as you'll have just had one major kick to the sack.'.