Thread: help me
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 08:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
underoath
polyaddicted cocanut

you probably won't like what I am about to say but it has worked for me, and it seems to be the only thing that does work. Coming on anxiety forums really only perpetuates the problem, because you are focusing on your anxiety. The key is to divert your attention on something else. It is hard at first but trust me it works. Stop reading about anxiety on internet forums and go get busy with something, something that takes a lot of concentration and focus. Something you enjoy. For me, taking baths and relaxing and whatnot only made it worse because my mind didn't have anything to chew on. I found that going out and getting active, ignoring my fear and just doing things that I enjoy, things that I think about even when I'm not doing them, was the cure for my anxiety. It is rough at first but eventually you replace old behavior with new behavior and your anxiety habit is gone. I used to have panic disorder and now I don't, so I know it works... and I am positive it will work for anyone else. People with anxiety disorders don't like to hear "you are in control, you can cure yourself, it is a behavioral condition..." but it should be encouraging to know that you don't have to live like that anymore, not offensive... but I mean I got really angry when someone tried to tell me that I am causing my anxiety (unintentionally of course). It's funny because people who suffer from anxiety, they do things that only make their condition worse, thinking that they are making it better, and eventually it becomes such a subconscious habit that they cannot break the cycle without intense behavioral therapy. You said you were good for 2 years, and given the current circumstances it is totally understandable why you had that reaction. But the best way to get past this is not to dwell in it and analyze it and tear it apart, but to move forward. It will pass, but you are keeping it from passing