Old 09-27-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
FT

AVRT is like a muscle, it gets easier the more you use it, so that eventually it becomes second nature, effortless.
That is so true. I didn't even know I was practicing what is now known as AVRT when I quit drinking over 20 years ago. It took probably 3 years before not drinking actually became "effortless" for me, but eventually it really did. It still has. Not drinking for me now is as natural as not smoking, which I have never done. People smoking or drinking around me may annoy me for various reasons, but I am never tempted to join in.

Now I am putting the same method to the test with oxycodone. I am a practicing non-opiate-user and have been for over 9 months. I didn't realize I was practicing the techniques of AVRT in December when I started, but when I discovered it a few months ago, I had a definite "aha" moment. Wow, I would have love to have known about AVRT a long time ago.

Not using oxys really is effortless for me at this moment, but I think that is only because I have arranged my life to have ZERO ACCESS to it. For me, that's easier than it was to avoid alcohol, which was always around me at the time I quit drinking due to my profession.

I see no reason to taunt The Beast if I don't have to. I'm glad I never bought my drugs off the street, nor have I ever hung around users. My use was always in secret, so no social issues there.

Just some thoughts.

FT