Old 09-26-2011, 10:38 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  
Augie

"I will never use again and I will never change my mind." This reminds me of something someone advised when I was in treatment a few months ago: convince yourself that "using is not an option -- ever!" His thinking was that if it's regarded as an option under some circumstance, an addict's mind will figure out a way to make that happen.

I modified this somewhat and ran with it. I sorta set out to regard the mere idea of my using again as meaningless, kinda like the idea of a square circle. As silly as it may sound, the question "will I ever use again?" sounds now like gibberish. Last time someone asked me if I thought I'd ever use again, I responded: "huh?" Not the same thing as the unwavering commitment I see discussed in this thread, for "I will never use again" seems now equally as meaningless.

Anyway, I post this as an anecdote. So many things have changed I cleaned up a few months ago that I've no idea whether this bit of conceptual surgery has anything to do with the fact that I haven't thought about using at all. In any case, sorta fun for someone who likes philosophy of language.