Old 09-24-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 303 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by aNewDawn View Post
Anyway, I thought I'd ask here about the subscription on the RR site. I am considering getting one for a month or two, but I am not sure if it's worth it. I'd mainly be interested in the forums. Are there a lot of threads with activity or only a few people hanging around?
The RR forums are not like most recovery forums, in that they are not a place to share about issues or personal problems. The topic is always AVRT-based recovery, and once people get the hang of AVRT, they tend not to stick around. Indeed, they don't encourage "sharing" of personal information on the RR forums, and when your subscription runs out, you won't get a message asking you to resubscribe. It is more of an "OK, now that you know AVRT, go ahead and get on with your life" attitude.

As for whether it is worth it or not, that depends on whether you have more questions on AVRT. The forums are moderated by Deborah Springborn, who has been with RR for a while now, and Jack Trimpey will often answers questions on AVRT as well. You also get access to the old BBS archives, which can be useful, although I only really skimmed through them, to be honest. In hindsight, I regret not having read through more of that when I was subscribed.

For most people, I would guess that a one-month subscription would be enough, but for people who have a lot of prior exposure to addiction treatment and who want to unlearn some things that have not been helpful to them, a three month subscription might not be entirely out of order. I would recommend reading the book before subscribing; you can then decide if you need additional clarification based on whether you have the hang of AVRT or not.