Old 09-24-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 295 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
My question is this: I feel firm and strong in my own recovery. I looked at the AVRT website, and I am interested in becoming involved, but I don't think I need to pay for a membership or take a class. I'd just like to subscribe at no cost to myself. You are a great asset to this forum, bringing the AVRT concept here for people like me who do not wish to be subjected to dogmatism in our recovery process.

Thanks for being here and bringing AVRT to this forum. I hope it's okay that I have quoted you at least once on the Substance Abuse forum.
Thanks.

While the Rational Recovery forums are useful, particularly for those who have spent a lot of time in rehabs or recovery groups without success, if you are already securely abstinent, this is not strictly necessary. You could learn AVRT from the book alone, since it is self-contained, and then go on to help others. Just telling people that there is an alternative to expensive addiction treatment can help, though.

Some people learn better through face-to-face instruction, where they can ask questions and receive immediate feedback, which is what "AVRT: The Course" provides. I believe the class is limited to five people at a time, so I imagine that one would get ample attention. Jack Trimpey does respond to inquiries on the subscription forums, though, and for those who are having a difficult time, I suppose it could be useful.

I have seen him put people through the ringer on there, so to speak, and he is quite adept at it. While I have not experienced it myself, judging from his responses on the forums, I expect that a face-to-face session with him would not leave much wiggle room for the Beast. You would probably have to try real hard to tune out.

The real problem, however, is that in today's recovery ecosystem, people are repeatedly told that they can't quit. Employees in rehabs often tell people when they arrive, "look to your left, look to your right, one of you won't be here" or "only one in 20 of you will make it, who will it be?"

This is nonsense, and probably aggravates the problem, since addicted people already feel hopeless.