Old 09-22-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  
esyla

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
In psychiatry, dissociation is defined as "disruption of the usually integrated functions of consciousness, memory, identity, or perception of the environment." When I use the word "dissociative" to describe AVRT, I am not using it in the strictly clinical sense, as a psychologist would, but in the traditional sense, as in separating, or distancing, from addictive desire.

The meanings are different depending on the context, and dissociation, as used in the clinical sense, is vastly different from the traditional sense. If the term causes you confusion, though, you don't need to think of it as such. As I used it, it does not mean what it would in the context of BPD.
thank you for your answer!!

i'm going to order this book right away. i've always been curious about it, and when i went to my psychiatrist to get on suboxone, he pushed 12 step programs and i asked about rational recovery. of course, he said he doesn't think it is as effective - it sounds like the perfect thing for me and i've always had that inkling in the back of my head. i gave it my all in the 12 step programs for a few months, and while i'm still sober, it's not because of those meetings. i've been sober coming up on 4 months and i only went to meetings about 2 months out of that time.

i need to go back and read through this entire thread, too. i'm so happy to have come across it!!!