Old 09-20-2011, 06:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bruingirl

OT: When do you know you need antidepressants?

When do you differentiate between going through a "slump", going through a depression tame enough to deal with through counseling, or going through something more that you need medication for?

I've always been opposed to the idea of antidepressants for myself, just because I don't want to deal with the nasty withdrawal symptoms and the idea that depressants aren't necessarily going to change my situation either just make me feel better.

But honestly, the last few weeks there have been a few instances that have been UNBEARABLE. One moment I am alright, and the next it seems like the weight of the world is on my shoulders. Even though I am "alright" and share laughs with friends, etc, I don't know if I've been truly happy in a while and it seems like this tunnel is never ending. I have moments of clarity but they are just that- moments.

Any thoughts on at what point one should consider anti-depressants. When I first started going to my therapist, we both agreed that at that point it didn't seem like I needed anything, but now it seems like this animal is getting out of control.