Thread: Mindfulness
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 06:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Augie

Originally Posted by topspin View Post
Augie,
I wholeheartily agree ( about this being a great site ! )

Ever since I started reading the AVRT thread, it's slowly started sinking in.

What you're desribing ;

Now I seem to be much more quickly aware of thoughts and feelings as they arise, and I'm continually surprised at how they lose their force simply in virtue of being clearly recognized and not judged or reacted to. Maybe even more importantly, I'm learning to see the joy in whatever is right front of me, right now!

.....seems to show you are recognizing the power of recognizing your "addictive voice" and the strength of not reacting to it. It has no power, once it's revealed for what it is.

Mindful indeed !
Yeah that sounds like what I'm saying, although it seems I'm starting to wonder whether that voice that might tell me I need to use comes from the same place as the voice that tells me I need to rush through a red light, or buy better furniture, or that something bad will happen if I don't do/have something else I really don't need. That a circumstance is unsatisfactory when it's really just fine? I'm really new to this -- both recovery and mindfulness -- so I'm trying to be really careful about where my thinking is taking me, but I'm wondering: in the long-term, is it necessary to put that addictive voice in a class unto its own? Would that itself be to give it a kind of power it doesn't have?

I'll check out that AVRT thread. Thanks!