View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 11:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ghostly
Groovy Dancer

I just lost a long post! ggggrrrrr! :angry:

Ok...I'll make it quick. I drank to sleep. Loved doing it. Problem was it took more and more to get me to sleep, until I was drinking a ridiculous amount. Wanted to quit drinking so got a script for a sleeping pill, but it didn't knock me out like alcohol did. Tried a different kind, and different doses, still...slept like sheet, just wasn't working.

Then finally started to get it...this is how normal people go to bed. They get tired, they try to get comfy in bed, they toss and turn...they wait to fall asleep. As a drunk, I was asleep as my head hit the pillow. Out. This is how I learned to go to sleep.

So...I wanted a pill to do the same. Ain't happening. Ohhhhh...they sell, but not from Dr's, and not to me. So I'm stuck with some "normal" prescription sleeping pills, that don't knock me out.

So...I cut out sugar. Watch my caffeine. Now I I learned how to go to sleep. One sleeping pill (sometimes OTC, sometimes Scripts), but generally, I get to sleep, sleep ok...get up a couple times to ****, but thankfully able to fall back asleep.

So, my advice (for what it's worth) cut out caffeine, cut out sugar. This is easier than you think. Git sugar out for a couple weeks, or longer...eventually you will not like the crash it gives you. Try to go without it for a bit, then taste a strawberry...plain, you will never taste anything so sweet. Or a grape, cherry...fruit will taste better than ever.

If appropriate, talk to a Dr. about a script to sleep. Don't abuse it. Take it, just don't expect it to knock you it. It will be weaker than that, weaker that what you experienced with alcohol to knock your ass out, but give it time. If you cut out sugar / caffeine, and get a sleeping bill, and give it some time to learn how to go to sleep again, most will get there. Good luck.

Of course...only think about a script till after you talk to Dr.