Old 09-17-2011, 11:13 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
simian66

Originally Posted by checkmate1 View Post
I also watched rain in my heart documentary which was a real eye opener
Firstly, thanks for this recommendation! I am watching it on Youtube as I type. It's really helping me in regard to understanding the alcoholism of a loved one right now.

Secondly, I am SO glad this Secular Connections section exists! I have battled for a long time with my own addictions. I tried N/A a few years back but no matter what was suggested to me in terms of substituting something else for this higher power thing, I was never going to submit to that.

Two and a half years ago I was caught between drug abuse and the fear of a 12 step based rehab. I was lucky to walk past the office of an addictions counselling service one day and just walked in. Seeing an addiction counsellor daily for the first few weeks, then weekly for a year or so was my answer. So far I haven't relapsed and don't ever want to go back to where I was.

There are alternatives to the 'God' approach. I'm glad I found something which worked for me. And I'm glad I have found this space on SR! Took me a while to notice it!