View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 12:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
sobercarebear

I am 68 days sober from a year long battle with Ativan and Klonopin. Those pills destroyed my life! I've lost my marriage, my kids, my dignity and my self respect. The pills became my boyfriend they are so highly addictive.

Not only are they addictive, you can have breakthrough anxiety which makes your anxiety even worse. This happens when the medication wears off (say overnight) before you get to the next dose. The body goes into withdrawal. I used to shake, sweat and have increased anxiety if I was withdrawing. This caused me to go nowhere with my pills.

I am shocked that a dr. would recommend these considering you are in recovery. Some feel it is OK to use them if the dr. is going to be monitoring you. However, I feel it is in your best interest to go see a psychotherapist like I do that can teach you coping skills. There are also nonaddictive anxiety meds out there, such as Buspar and Vistaril. I am on these plus an anti depressant, Effexor XR and have noticed less anxiety.

Whatever you decide, just know there are options out there and your recovery needs to be the focus. Good luck!