Thread: Really fed up
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Eddiebuckle

Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy View Post
It's really a sign of rapidly progressing illness that he is as f'ed in the head as he is. He doesn't seem to recall his behavior but he could tell you in detail every thing I've ever done to him that he is angry about.
Sorry you're caught in the consequences of his disease. But you're absolutely right about the above... in the final weeks of my drinking I was dating a girl I was (and remain) madly in love with. One night over dinner I gave her the key to my house with words of how much I felt for her, hoping that she would see it as a significant next step in our relationship. Her response: shocked silence. I was crushed. Then she informed me that I had given her a key to my house the previous weekend.

So as much as your AH is being a total @hole, try to find a touch of compassion (not that you have to share it with him, mind you) - he is absolutely beaten by alcohol at this point. He won't quit until he becomes more scared of continuing to drink than the prospect of having alcohol taken from him. And let me tell you, the prospect of no longer having alcohol terrified me. That existence is despair as a way of life, it's all he has at this point.