View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eliasson

Uh-oh. First sober vacation

Help! My sobriety date (this time) is August 11 of this year. You may know that I am dealing with a lot of stress with my autoimmune illness AND my sons brain cancer. It's a struggle everyday to not run and hide in that bottle as was my pattern. Now I have a dilemma. Our beat friends, who are heavy drinkers, surprised us with an impromptu trip to their cabin in Beaver Creek, Colorado. I so need this break and have family who will care for my son. But I'm scared to death. Not that I ever needed an excuse to drink, but vacations have always been big drunk fests. While I love my husband and our friends, they are all such heavy drinkers and I will be surrounded by alcohol for 4 days. I'm still fairly new at this sobriety thing, but being sober is the most important thing to me in the world. Without sobriety, I have nothing. I could really use any tips or wisdom y'all have to offer. I'm worried. I don't want to drink, and I don't want the whole vacation to be consumed by my worry and anxiety over alcohol. What should I do? Thank you in advance for all your help and suggestions. I have a feeling I will be sticking very close to this forum on my trip!