Old 09-14-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 249 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I happen to believe the original reasons are irrelevant when it comes to quitting, but in my case they are not completely irrelevant. Alcohol is not an issue for me anymore. However, I have engaged in other behaviors (again, not related to substances) that feed my lizard brain's desire for the high. Some have been healthy, others quite problematic. So I like to at least look into original reasons to make sure they are not manifesting in other ways.
Yes, I understand, but while AVRT can keep you sober as a stone, it simply cannot help you with underlying reasons or issues. If other behaviors become problematic for you, you can add them to the Big Plan and knock it off.

I also understand the temptation to get into psychology, especially given the fascination with the psychological theory of addiction by Stanton Peele and Jeffrey A. Schaler, which have quite a following.

While I consider CBT/RET a nice adjunct for dealing with issues once securely abstinent, part of the beauty of AVRT is that it doesn't include any of that stuff.

I like to think of AVRT as "Step Zero." :-)