Old 09-14-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  
freethinking
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
To be honest, I don't know, but until medicine comes up with a way to kill it, I think that to waste time trying to find root causes for drinking instead of quitting is dangerous. More than a few have wasted years in psychotherapy trying to find the underlying issues that they thought were leading them to drink, with little success.
I'm not really referring to why you, I, or anyone else specifically drank (i.e. childhood trauma, etc). Instead, I was curious to know if the author of some of the books discussed in this thread ever touches on a general theory as to what causes some people to drink alcoholically and others not to (I know I have heard theories in psychology, and in another program I attended). I think it's a very natural curiosity, since my alcohol abuse has so severely and negatively effected my life. I mean all this time is spent explaining how the primitive brain talks to the higher brain, etc - so it's natural for one to ask why this happens in some and not others. I am not even saying I believe in the whole Lizard Brain theory, but am just curious if the founder of the theory supplies a belief in a cause for this. Food for thought, nothing more and nothing less.