Old 09-13-2011, 07:06 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  
wpainterw

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Why do some people have an AV and others don't? Not everyone who drinks becomes addicted to alcohol...so why does the beast manifest in me, but not my mom for instance? What makes us different?

I'm interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on this.
"Not everyone who drinks becomes addicted". This of course has been the focus of numerous studies and much speculation. I believe that there is some scientific evidence that there may be genetic factors, possible differences in brain structure or the way the brain responds to addictive substances. These differences may not only be true for the midbrain or primitive brain but also for those parts of the brain where consciousness resides and where, I assume, the addictive voice originates. Some people are just "different" than others. Fitzgerald said "The rich are different from you and me...They have more money." And so might it be said, "We alcoholics are different from non alcoholics. Maybe our brains are different. Also, we've got a thirsty, fun loving beast and an addictive voice which listens to the thirsty creature and invents all sorts of ways to help him out."

W.

Last edited by wpainterw; 09-13-2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Add "Maybe our brains are different"