Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Allen Carr says avoid anything that suggests you have given anything up or made a sacrifice. To me such celebrations imply a sacrifice. Of course, to use that line of thinking you have to agree with Allen that there are no benefits to alcohol.
To me such celebrations do not imply a sacrifice...
I agree, there are no benefits to me drinking alcohol.

Originally Posted by AVRT
I'm not saying that it did not take me quite a lot of time and misery to get to this point, but I really have come to look at the whole thing differently.
As have we all I understand your POV on this, I just don't agree.

Originally Posted by AVRT
To acknowledge another milestone of "not drinking" would play into the Beast's hand by implying that this is somehow a great accomplishment, like climbing mount Everest, and that I might fall off any time.
Again...we are looking at this from completely different places. Each of us has to become skilled at recognizing our own AV. When thinking that we can identify the AV in others it can get very tricky. Since you see acknowledging a quit date or clean time as playing into the beast's hands....you might think that is the same for others across the board. I can see how you would think that.

I can also see how people become trapped in the dogma of the ideology. Fear of the beast winning reigns, so I must not question or deviate from any ideas presented. I must not count time. I must never attend a meeting. I must not use any terminology or phrases that even remotely smell like traditional recovery or...ugh the beast will win. For pete's sake....I refuse to live like that. I do not fear the beast.

I will never drink again. I will also acknowledge my quit date as I have for several years. I can do both and be successful. If others cannot or don't wish to, then they certainly should avoid it.

I have heard you say more than once that you hear others' AVs in their posts. That is probably quite possible in some instances, less possible or impossible in other cases. I could care less if Jack Trimpey says that counting time is the beast talking. As per my explanation in the previous post, I simply do not believe that. I respect that you do.