Thread: now what ?
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by gbz View Post
thank you , i just needed to know some kind of time frame,
omg 6 months is almost a lifetime. I know 1 month is not enough was shooting for 2 months .
apt is his name as of 13 yrs ago. I cant cover his and my new apt, I am planning on advising him im cutting him off by end of October if no true changes are seen. but now i have to reconsider the time frame
thank you for the input
gbz
Most alcoholics don't even make it a year. I've been around the rooms of AA since 1986, and they start to drop off like flies after the 60 day mark. Six months is not unreasonable at all to see if he's serious.

As for cutting him off, I will share with you that it was do or die for me after I left rehab. I was the single mother of a daughter and had no choice but to beat feet and find a job ASAP to support the two of us. Thank God I had no one to pay my bills. I had to be responsible.

It always amazes me when an alcoholic is being supported by a spouse as there is no excuse for the alcoholic to not be pulling his/her own weight.

I am thankful for the experience that I had no choice but to be responsible. It helped me to grow up.