Thread: Rehab Romance?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
rza1234

Unhappy Rehab Romance?

What is rehab romance? How common is it? Would anyone care to share a personal story of their experience of it...is it powerful? Real? Genuine? And do tthey last, generally?

I am asking because my boyfriend of 3 years (we have known each other 6) and I both used opiates together. Eventually our finances caught up with us, and I had to leave. We had been living together. I moved back in with my mom, and him his (I am 25 he is 23). I got clean, am going to meetings annd seeing a therapist. He went to rehab. He called me often, and we agreed we would take the time we needed to get to a clean, comfortable, healthy place individualy, and then try and see where we are as a couple. We loved each other and did not want to just give up. Of course we knew it would be a battle, and a long road, but I was under the impression it we were still him and me underneath it all.

Long story short, the last 3 days he was there I missed one phone call. Then he must have developed/realized feelings for this girl and he checked out 2 days early of a 14 day program so he could have his car for when she got out. He lied to me (said he was going o spend a few days with some guy friends he made) and went to spend a week with her at her parents house where she took care of him while he "recovered". He called me the day before he left and told me the trught (that he was with her) but was not strong enough to talk to me about it, explain it, or comfort me. He never said he was leaving me for her, or if he had been with her, or anything.

He just called tonight, once he got home, and we ttalked. I didn't cry or ask questions. We talked about our cravings, some regrets, our families reactions, etc. And ended it by sayiing we could both call nytime we wanted. I didn't ask if he was with her. I didn't ask if he would see her or when. She lives 3 hours away and just started a new job, is a recovering alcoholic he has known for 3 weeks, and he is starting work on mon...

So my questions (above as well) are - do rehab romances last? I am worried about him relapsing. He is just letting her take care of him/fill a void b/c he doesn't want to be alone. I thought if anything he would run to me, but I guess rehab made him believe he couldn't.

Sorry it is so long. Any advice/insight/stories really appreciated. Thanks!