View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
m1k3

YellowBirdy,

Just a little background. I moved out after almost 36 years of marriage. She was an active alcoholic the last 15 years of that. I stuck out 15 years because I thought I could fix her, it was my fault, I didn't give her enough support, love conqouers all, you name it. Finally I hit bottom and moved out.

I started working my own recovery and I am in a much better place. It's not all sunshine and puppies but it is way better than were I was before. I actually like myself, enjoy life and am happy most of the time.

This is what I posted in your other thread and really applies here. What I am writing about here is from experience.

Nope. Simple as that. You can't control his drinking and you can't control his not drinking and you can't control him. He will do what he chooses to do. You can't make him choose to drink.

All you can control are how YOU choose to react to what life is handing you at this moment. That's it. In the whole wide universe the only thing you can control is how you choose to react and your attitudes.

Sounds scary but actually it's pretty freeing. Once you give up the illusion of control you can now put down all that responsibility that you chose to assume because it really isn't yours. You aren't responsible for anything anyone anywhere chooses to do.

Please consider going to some Al-Anon meetings. They can help you deal with issues like this.

Codependents Anonymous Step 1:
We admitted we were powerless over others - that our lives had become unmanageable.

Al-Anon and AA Step 1:
We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.

It's not your fault.
Your friend,