Thread: Soma
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
radler13

I went through Soma(Carisoprodol) withdrawl 3 months ago and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I had been using soma for aproximatly 4 years. I started taking it as an off label use for night time teeth grinding as my dental bills were outragious. It worked for a short time, but then I noticed it completely erased my anxiety without making me sedated. I also suffer from genral anxiety and panic disorder and was prescribed Ativan which made me grogy and clumsy. The soma worked much better than the benzo because it left me clear headed dexterous.
Since it's got such a short half-life and the fact that I began to get tolerant to it's effects I had to take more and more. If I stoped for a few days the panic attacks would kick in and I would become increadibly paranoid about everything.
My father found me 3 months ago in my appartment shaking uncontrolably and not making much sense. He knew about my soma problem an took me to a local hospital for detoox. This is when the terrible withdrawl symptoms kicked in.
They gave me a cocktail of meds, mostly Phenobarbital, which has similar effects but a much longer half-life. This threw me into immediate withdrawl. Aweful halucinations, vomiting blood, bloody diarria, and unberible pain. Time actualy slowed down. So the 2 days in the ICU felt like a month or more.
I you are taking this drug, please get help or taper off of it very slowly. This experience has mentaly scarred me for the rest of my life. I dont want anyone to go through this experience.