View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
m1k3

Originally Posted by breakingglass View Post
not sure where you would assume something like that.... no, i feel more like you all should stop psychoanalyzing your family and freinds because of YOUR choices. you are reading WAY more into this then i intended to express. i simply think that maybe these support groups teach you to disconnect not only to your A significant but to everyone in your life and analyze them like they were all nuts or something! i dont want any group (cult, whatever you choose to call it) to push me away from my loved ones. they are my strongest support group...not some bunch of stangers who think they know me.

now go ahead, psychoanalyze me....i know you want to!
Actually I don't. You see my recovery is focused on me. I really don't worry about how other people think or act. That is part of the illusion of control. I can't control people, places or things. All I can control is how I choose to react to what is happening around me and my attitudes. That's it.

Detachment is a simple term for letting go of trying to control others whether its your A or anyone else. Once you detach it is much easier to accept them for what they are and not try to change them. They will change only when they are ready to change.

That one little step can remove so much suffering from your life.

As for the cult thing. I used to serve in the US Marine Corps. That was most certainly a cult. Al-Anon, nope, doesn't feel like a cult. Especially when every meeting I have been to closes with "take what you want and leave the rest".