View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ksumm77

I can relate to you. Until I started attending Al Anon and continued to go to the meetings I felt very alone. I don't have people my own age that I can turn to, but I have found some ladies in Al Anon that even though they are 10-20 years older, I get along with them great.
Your mom and my mom sound exactly alike! From time to time I'll receive a phone call in the morning, she's frantic, been crying and says I had this dream that something bad happened to you.
Through Al Anon I am learning to not react to people around me. It's extremely hard not to since that is what I have known to do all my life! I have the tendency to get sucked in and take others problems on. A couple weekends ago at an Al Anon meeting, I heard something simple that really stuck with me. QTIP .... quit taking it personally. When I feel myself getting sucked in, QTIP comes to mind and I repeat to myself what it means.
If you're not attending Al Anon, I highly suggest it. It was uncomfortable for me at first, and sometimes still is, but I am learning a new way of life that is much better than how I was living.