Old 08-29-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
LifeRecovery

This is my embarresing issue with alcohol (I later had to confess to the group).

I had been in Al-Anon about six months. I struggle with a lot of things, but alcohol is not one of them. I was making homemade mincemeat for Xmas and needed some alcohol for that. I went to the grocery store (got a big bottle because I am an idiot and did not realize I could get them in little containers) and then got in the express check out line....right behind someone else in the Al-Anon program. They did not see me.

I got so anxious I had to get out of line and go around the store for a few more minutes, so they would not see me. Checked out and was still so anxious that I did not realize the "steal-proof" top was on the bottle. I managed to get out of the store without setting off the alarm, to have to come back a few days later to have them take it off.

It helped to talk about this story (and frankly laugh) at myself a number of months later when I asked about alcohol use among the members of Al-Anon for themselves.

I think figuring out our own relationship and feelings about alcohol are part of our healing process, about us and for us.

For me it was one of the things that I had to stop feeling guilty about. I can use alcohol socially. I got to the point where I was apologizing for things that were not a problem in my life which I had to stop to feel better and be healthy.