View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
vinepest

Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
I do not have urges to drink. I was a morning, noon and night drinker and would go on approximately 5 week binges, then stop for a week and start up again. I drank about 4 bottles of wine a day and suffer pretty bad withdrawl when I stopped each time. However my pattern is, when I "really stop" (usually when something bad has happened as a result of my drinking), I will not want to drink for months (let's say 3-4). Then "bam"...at the end of those 3-4 months this thought to drink crosses my mind, almost as a fact, and then it's done (as in "We're drinking today, go to the liquor store now. There is no reason not to."). There's no debate, nothing.

So my issue is I feel like, having abstained for 3.5 months now, I have not been able to practice AVRT/SMART at all. However, I have noticed recently (and if history rings true, I am reaching a critical time right now), that I have been feeling very negative (which up until a week or so ago, I was not). This negativity has slowly been getting worse and worse I have been focusing on old events and people that make me feel angry and sad, yet they have no real reason to be bothering me right now. I keep telling myself to stop thinking about these things....I almost get the feeling that these thoughts are my very sneaky "addictive voice"...it's like it wants to build me up to a state of hating everyone and being disgusted with life, to the point where I don't care so that by the time the "bam, let's drink now" thought reaches me, I'm like "Yeah, why not".

It's like I am addicted to not being happy. For example, I checked out these books from the library on all this stuff, and keep finding reasons not to read them. It's like I subconsciously do not want to be happy or change things.

I guess I'm rambling - but it's because I feel on shaky ground. If I were feeling like drinking, at least that would seem normal. But I don't, yet I feel like something is brewing and I don't trust myself.
Suppose one day your fears are realized, and you go on a day-long drinking binge. Do you think you would continue to drink day after day, as you have in the past? Or would you get back on track the next morning?

See, I don't worry about stuff like that. Sure, I might have some kind of fit of perverseness and go get drunk one day, or high, or whatever, but so what? I mean, sure, it would be a mistake. At the very least, I would waste a day of productivity. And perhaps I would also freak out my friends and family. I certainly want to avoid those things, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying about it. Because if I do have some crazy day of drinking, all I have to do is awake from my stupor and get sober again.

In short, although it's possible I might make some kind of single bad decision, I'm not worried in the least that I will suddenly become a habitual drunk again.

So, I guess the question is, do you think you'll be willing to stop the next day if for some reason you decide to drink again? If so, then I wouldn't worry about individual days of drinking. Just live your life. If not.... well then I'm not sure what to say.

Either way, good luck!