View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 07:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by freethinking View Post
I guess part of me needed to vent here and am also sort of wondering if anyone else has come into conflicts with their therapist regarding their non-12 step approach to not drinking? I just don't feel that he is supportive.
If you don't want to deal with this type of browbeating, work your own "program" and seek therapy for other issues not pertaining to your addiction if you feel you need it. Most certified alcohol and drug abuse counselors are "in recovery" themselves, and will naturally try to steer you in that direction. I've been there myself, and now stay well away from them.

I do have to give your therapist credit for actually disclosing that he is "in recovery" and attending meetings, though. Many people in his position would not be so forthcoming, and some will actually lie. I always recommend asking a therapist if they or anyone in their family are involved in a 12-Step program if that is a concern.