Old 08-25-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
onlythetruth
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
I have no problems with AA, nor with people who find AA useful - my only problem is with evangelism. And even that I could handle if once I say, "thank you for your information, but it's not for me" that could be the end of that. It's the pushy evangelists that continue to preach and are intolerant of any other viewpoint that get me, and in my opinion, cause the drama. And this goes for zealots on either side of the argument.
Indeed. I feel the same way. I have absolutely no issue with the existence of AA or any 12 step program. 12 step deserves a seat at the table of recovery options. It shouldn't have ALL the seats, though, while the rest of us have to sit on the floor, or leave the room entirely!

As far as RR goes, it's funny, when I quit drinking RR and AA were the only recovery programs I was aware of and Trimpey's extreme anti-AA stance really turned me off. I think there is a lot of value to the AVRT technique, but Trimpey--ai ai ai!--he came across as a vigilante, and I couldn't take it! So I ended up in AA, which was really not a good fit for me, because RR, which was probably a better fit, made itself unpalatable.

So it goes....