Old 08-17-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  
HuskyPup
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by ElvisInASkirt View Post
I can still feel resentful of the people who say that God is the only way to recovery.

But now I know it's the only way that they know and if it works for them then it works for them.
Admittedly, there seems to be a kind of game being played with people who claim that God is the only way to recovery, namely, "I'm only trying to help you". Then, when you slip up, they can play, "Now I've got you!". On the surface level, the exchanges seem to be directed on a reasonable adult to adult level; beneath the surface level, it is as if a scowling parental figure is chiding and then punishing a child. Some people are very good at playing these games, and spend their entire lives doing so, unaware.

I've been re-reading the book Games People Play, by Erik Berne, a seminal book work the field of psychology called transactional analysis, in which he looks at how people find meaning in life via roles, scripts, and by playing certain 'games' from which they derive a psychological benefit, a way to bring their lives meaning.

Oh, he also has a chapter describing 'Alcoholic' as a game, which was quite interesting.