View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 09:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Taking5

Originally Posted by danielleinto View Post
Thank God for the alcoholics who post on this family board. You'll never know how much your input means. I can't put into words why that is but those are the posts that have the most meaning to me. Thank-you.
As a recovering alcoholic it is really good to hear this.

Originally Posted by Sheneedshelp
I don't know why I busted her out of jail, I guess being a mom just kind of kicked in for me, did I mess up? I feel like all I do with her is mess up, I kicked her out hoping it would be a reality check for her but it seems like she's just drinking more and more. She was supposed to go back to school Tuesday but I highly doubt that will happen with her court that will likely becoming soon and her violation of school probation. She's probably gonna be back here just partying it up. I don't know how to help her anymore.
To be blunt yes I think you screwed up by bailing her out. And bailing her out is NOT helping her. However, in case you are not aware, you can have have the bail bond company re-arrest her at any time for any reason or no reason, and they will keep her in jail until her court date or until someone else bails her out. I strongly urge that you do this, especially if she goes back to her partying ways.

My last stint in jail (5 days for an auto accident while drunk) I was going to be let out after midnight after 3 days - on a Friday - to ease overcrowding. Us drunks/druggies knew enough to go in on Tuesday because they always let out people early to ease weekend overcrowding. 3 of us had it all planned, there was a bar withing walking distance of the jail and we were going to go there, get lit up, and I was going to buy us a cab home. The jail, knowing how people like us think, didn't release us until 3:15am when the bars were closed.

As you can tell, I was in no way, shape or form ready for recovery at that point. Nothing could help me until I was ready.

3 years later, I found sobriety and AA on my own. No rehab, no court order, no angry SO, No threats from my boss, etc., I was just ready. As I have heard in AA about working with newcomers:

If they are not ready (for recovery) then nothing you can say is right. If they are ready, then nothing you can say is wrong.
Have you looked at Al-Anon meetings yet? I highly reccomend it.

Good luck.