View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 02:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
JJK

punk rock

awsome topic! mainly because this is the music i choose to listen to (for the most part).. im more into the late 70's to mid 80's sound.. american hardcore.. with minor threat being on top of my list.. but on the same hand.. circle jerks is as well.. and if you know anything about keith morris..

but i agree fully with lund.. just because these people/groups choose to abstain from substances doesnt necessarly make them positive people or good role models.. the music is angry, first of all.. then a lot of these people often substitute alcohol and drugs for other things such as hatred and violence.. (not saying ian mackaye has ever done this).. but in my last days, i was so happy this angry music was there for me.. in helped justify my anger and insnanity and everything i was doing..

i could also recall being very young and looking up to these sXe kids in my neighborhood.. not because of their beleif systems or the music they were into (i think most 90's to present day punk is ****).. but because they were skateboarding, doing graffiti, and destroying property.. i thought that was awsome, and still do to an extent.. but these same kids would beat up people who used or drank.. i even remember them jumping some kid at a bus stop for smoking a cigarette.. thats **** to me.. and i know theres diff types of edge; "posi-edge" and whatever, and that its saved/helped a lot of kids..

im seriously seeking other routes aside from AA at this point.. being edge is not a possibility.. there is no scene for that where i live now, and even if there were, i smoke cigarettes and drink tons of coffee religiously..

im just trying to be sober and happy.. im still combative, but i try to direct it in a way that i feel is justified, whenever im feeling that way..

i also am an avid jazz fan.. here lately been listening to a lot of led zep, jimi, etc.. but my playlist is mainly 80s hardcore punk, and i dont think thats going to change anytime soon..