View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
silly

When I first sought out to get sober, my partner was completely confused. Should she stop drinking? She didn't really want to stop drinking... She can let her cocktail sit and melt half the night and not be the least bit concerned about it. To her it's totally okay to... (whisper)... pour out wine! But still, alcohol was a big part of our DINK lifestyle (dual income no kids)... We loved our evening cocktails together, even if I was drinking 3 times what she thought I was drinking.

When she started educating herself about my addiction, she soon turned 180 degrees. Now she's all about being sober. It helps her, it helps me, it helps our health. If she wants the taste of beer or wine, which we both love, she gets an NA version. I'm not saying she never drinks but she does NOT drink in front of me unless we've had a specific conversation about it. I love her!

However, I will point out that she is not an alcoholic or addict. It sounds like your husband might be? If that's the case, I wouldn't expect him to come around. It's time to make tough decisions. If you have to, lay it all out for him and tell him what you need. If he can't do it? You'll need to decide what to do about you and your health and sobriety.