Old 08-11-2011, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT) Discussion

This is a thread for discussion on the method of Rational Recovery®, called Addictive Voice Recognition Technique®, or AVRT®, which is described in detail in the following book:
"Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction" by Jack Trimpey
I have previously been on the Rational Recovery forums, and have learned quite a bit from other people's questions on AVRT, and I believe that I can help others in this regard, and that others can help me as well. AVRT seems to grow on me over time, and other people, often newcomers, have provided me with some keen insights that I had not originally thought of. I believe we can all learn from each other in this respect.

My understanding is that previous forums on Rational Recovery or AVRT descended into flame wars, and Morning Glory suggested that the secular forum might be a safe place to discuss it, since 12-Step is off topic for this forum. My hope is that people who have an interest in or questions about AVRT will have a place to discuss it without inviting disruption to the rest of the forums, and without imposing an undue burden on the moderators.

In that vein, it should be noted that AVRT is instruction on self-recovery, and that its paradigm is therefore quite different from that of traditional recovery programs that rely on groups, including the secular ones. AVRT will, by its nature, contradict much of the conventional wisdom. Therefore, I ask that anyone who might be offended or disturbed by a different recovery paradigm respect that and not go on the defensive.

I am, however, mindful that some of Jack Trimpey's other ideas are liable to stir up trouble, so here are some proposed ground rules, which can be amended as needed, to hopefully try and prevent that.
  1. This is a place to discuss AVRT, and nothing else.

2. This is not a place to discuss any other recovery programs.

3. This thread is not a place to post about any issues you may have with your wife, husband, in-laws, family, employer, dog, cat, etc. Please use other threads for that.

4. This is not a place to discuss the "Big Book" of Alcoholics Anonymous, the "Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions," or any other 12-Step literature.

5. This is not a place to discuss Jack Trimpey's opinions on other topics, such as, for example, his thoughts on Bill Maher, Glenn Beck, and Barack Obama.

6. This is not a place to discuss how angry or resentful you think Jack Trimpey is.