View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
wellwisher

I have to tell you I think you did the right thing. I am an alcoholic, and let me tell you, but for the grace of God, I am really, really fortunate to have never hurt someone back in the day with my two DWI's. I honestly believe that if I hurt a child, I would have put a bullet in my head. The thought upsets my stomach as I type.

We had a really unfortunate accident here in NY about a year and a half ago where a woman driving her children home from a family camping trip drove the wrong way on the Taconic State Parkway. Ended up getting killed, killed her children, killed her nieces, and several occupants in the other car.

Her autopsy showed she had a fairly highly bac, but last I heard, her family says she wasn't an alcoholic and was trying to prove that the tests were wrong.

What was she doing on the wrong side of the parkway?

ANY steps that are taken to protect a child is worth it. I remember some pretty hair-raising driving episodes by my drunk parents, and I had absolutely no control over the situation. I remember one time smacking my father in the back of his head as he nodded off while driving on the way back from a wedding in Florida. I was 14. Fortunately, he stopped at the next hotel.

You did well.