View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Spawn

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
It's been a while since I've posted an update about me and I think this is a good time to catch everyone up.

Shields are down an all is running smoothly. I've been feeling pretty good about myself and still making progress in my recovery. It seems that I've taken care of the major stuff and the things I'm working on now are more subtle.

I've helped my AW move to a smaller apartment over the last couple of weekends. It seems like she is starting to get it. She is talking about recovery rather than look at all the classes I've attended, and admitted to needing to live a sober life style. I'm very proud of her and as captain have awarded her the rank of RAW. She is going to AA but prefers a private therapist. I have no complaints with that. Whatever works works. I guess all the drama was required so that we could both be where we are now.

What I have to watch myself with is a couple of things. The big one is not to jump in and start to manage her recovery for her. That would be REAL BAD for both of us. The second is that I need to be objective and realize that her recovery might not last or that even bigger, our relationship has and will change big time. Just me changing will cause that.

So patience is my key word for now. I feel really good about me and I have some hope about us.

I have been really working the mindfulness tool and it has worked really well. I think part of the reason I have had so much success with it is because I have had years of experience being mindful for a different reason.

I am a type 2 diabetic who manages my diabetes through diet and exercise. I am very mindful about what I eat and when. I guess it wasn't that difficult to apply the same tool to a different process. So, it appears I needed that experience as a diabetic to be able to learn to handle what was going on in my life with my A. My HP obviously has a funny sense of humor.

So, no drama and some progress. Life is good.

Edit, rereading the post I have come to the conclusion that I really need another word for really, really, I really mean it.

Your friend,
This is cool!

I like hearing good news....thanks