Old 08-03-2011, 12:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
wywriter

I thought of starting a new thread, and then decided that it doesn't really warrant one -- but it DEFINITELY fits in to this thread.

Tonight AH got drunk, hit something on his way into the bedroom, flopped out and went to sleep. He got up once to go to the bathroom, then went back to bed. Now, the layout of the house is that the kids' rooms and my office are on one side of the kitchen and bathroom, while the living room and master bedroom are up four steps on the other side. I've had a ton of work to do, so I've been staying up to the wee hours every night after everyone else is in bed.

About 45 minutes after AH takes his bathroom break, I wander into the kitchen...and feel hot air wafting from the living room. My first thought was, "Holy s--t, he's burning the house down!" Second thought was, "Maybe he bumped the oven on?" Checked oven, it was off and cold. Back to thought number one.

Nope, after 100-degree days for several weeks straight, dear hubby ran into the thermostat. By time I got up into the previously night-cooled living room, it was about 95 degrees and the heater was running strong. The thermostat lay in pieces all over the floor. Having no other alternative, I woke up AH to tell him the problem and asked if there's any emergency shutoff or similar thing for the heater. He proceeded to wake up, wander into the pantry, retrieve wire cutters, remove the rest of the thermostat from the wall and cut the wires. Zapped himself a tiny bit with the LIVE wires, but he has well-insulated tools because he bought them while he was actually doing electrical work.

The heater did go off a couple minutes later. This should be really great for about another month or two, when the fall freeze sets in. Thank you, Mr. Fix-It.